We are a registered 501(c)3, non-profit organization. We rely on a dedicated group of volunteers and generous friends. We are managed by a Board of Trustees, each one of whom has their own talents to bring to the table. We are all dedicated to the mission of preserving and sharing the history of the area we live in.
If you are interested in joining us, come on down! We have a number of projects and the place is usually busy with any number of visitors and friends !!
Established in 1965, the Chaffey Communities Cultural Center is dedicated to preserving and interpreting the history and culture of the communities of Upland, Ontario, Montclair, Mt. Baldy, Rancho Cucamonga and San Antonio Heights.
It was first located at 525 W. 18th Street and operated there from 1965 until 1988 when its historic building was the victim of an arson fire. The building was severely damaged and many artifacts were totally destroyed or damaged beyond repair. For almost 8 years, this museum location was closed completely as the building was repaired, artifacts sorted an salvaged.
In 1995 The Chaffey Communities Cultural Center received a generous donation from the estate of Miss Ada Cooper, a long time resident of Alta Loma. With those funds, we were able to purchase an Art Moderne style building located at 217 A Street in downtown Upland. It was built in 1937 by the Ontario-Cucamonga Fruit Exchange to serve as their offices. The “O.K. Fruit Exchange” dates back to 1897 when it was formed to coordinate the sales of oranges, lemons, and grapefruit from a dozen local packing houses. When the Exchange closed in the 1960s, the building was used as offices by the West End Board of Realtors and later by several local attorneys and accountants. In 1997, the Cooper Regional History Museum was dedicated at 217 East A Street in downtown Upland.
But since that time, there has always been a goal of re-opening the 18th street location to feature the agricultural implements that were so important to the early building of this community. That reality has finally happened. This original 18th Street facility has re-opened, as of May, 2009.
In addition to the agri-business exhibits, we will be able to exhibit other items in our collection that are just too large to be displayed at the downtown museum. As an added feature, we will have a research library available, focusing on local history research. Included in the library will be old books and maps of the area, clipping files, scrap books, historic home research tools, and a growing genealogy and family history collection.
We also hope to sponsor workshops on historic home identification and preservation, and help interested owners with the paperwork necessary to get their properties on historic registers. Another goal is to sponsor workshops on collections management and artifact preservation and restoration. So come on by and see what we have to offer. Initially, the 18th Street location will be open Thursday 2-6pm, and Friday and Saturday 10-6pm.