George Chaffey returned in late 1881, and the first colony that he established was named Etiwanda for a well known Algonquin Indian chief in Canada, an old friend of the Chaffey family. On Thanksgiving Day of that year George Chaffey and his brother William called on Captain John Garcia, a retired seaman who had a sheep ranch located near the intersection of the El Camino Real and the Santa Fe Trail. Chaffey initially bought 560 acres that day and began subdividing the property. By 1888 the colony consisted of 2,500 acres
Etiwanda was the site of the first hydro-electric power developed west of the Rockies. Water was delivered in wooden flumes from the Day Canyon stream to a reservoir from which it was carried to the highest spot of each 10 acre lot. The water was powered by an 18 inch turbine that drove a dynamo attached to a small paddle which was properly placed in an irrigation ditch. In December of 1882 George Chaffey Jr. was able to light the Garcia house with two 3,000 power arc lights.